Simple, Oil-Free Sweet Potato Prep
It’s a shame that for so long, I only cooked with sweet potatoes in the fall. Why?! Maybe it’s because I’ve always associated them with Thanksgiving and cinnamon, or because I’d never tried them with coconut curry sauce. Regardless, now that I can find organic sweet potatoes in bulk at Costco, they’ll be in my kitchen a lot more often.
I was happy to learn from That Vegan Couple that you don’t need any oil or salt to bake chopped potatoes (sweet or otherwise). Somewhere I saw this method of slicing sweet potatoes into rounds and roasting on a parchment-lined baking sheet. I like this kind of fuss-free prep. No peeling required!
The sweet potatoes are completely satisfying on their own. However, I never would have guessed how well they pair with coconut curry sauce! They’re best friends now.
How to Make the Coconut Curry Sauce
As with many of my sauces, I used tahini here as the base for its creamy texture. It also mixes well with a variety of flavor profiles. I added curry powder, which of course works perfectly with coconut milk, so I stirred some in, too.
I also like to incorporate a bit of sweet and sour into my sauces. To that end, I’ve been using agave nectar and apple cider vinegar, respectively. A little bit of salt, pepper, and garlic powder round it all out.
It may sound like a lot of ingredients for the coconut curry sauce, but it comes together quickly. I just add all the ingredients into a mason jar, stir, taste, adjust seasonings if needed, and it’s done.
I used regular canned coconut milk that I watered down a little bit, but you could use light coconut milk instead. If your coconut milk is a little clumpy, just microwave the sauce for 15 seconds to melt and make it easy to stir.
This coconut curry sauce would work well in any kind of veggie and grain bowl, but I think it’s really special with roasted sweet potatoes. Enjoy!
- 2 large sweet potatoes, washed well
- 3 cups mixed fresh or frozen veggies, whatever kind you like
- 3 Tbsp. tahini
- 2 Tbsp. regular coconut milk + 1 Tbsp. water, OR 3 Tbsp. light coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp. agave nectar
- 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. curry powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- Pinch each salt and pepper, or to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Slice the sweet potatoes into 1/4-inch thick medallions and spread out onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 40 minutes on a center rack, flipping once halfway through.
- Meanwhile, cook your mixed veggies in a steamer or in a small pot with shallow boiling water, until warm and tender. Drain if needed.
- Mix all of the sauce ingredients in a mason jar or small bowl. If there are clumps from the coconut milk, microwave for 10-15 seconds and re-stir.
- Divide the sweet potatoes and veggies onto two plates and drizzle with the coconut curry sauce. Enjoy!